What is your opinion on this type of construction on PVE/PVE-C

I would like to know what you think about this PVE/PVE-C players, this doesn’t please me at all and it seems like we always have this type of player, funcom has to limit the size of the area you can build and the amount of houses you can have on the map

1 Like

Looks like one of the examples of a TOC violating build; check the examples.

4 Likes

I like to build but, never do crap like this lol. Its actually easier to make a smaller base look better as well. Only thing i can suggest is moving to private servers with rules against this kind of non sense.

2 Likes

yes, I reported it, this is just one of the cases on the server I play on, I think funcom has to do something with respect about the size of the land that the player can have

Well, the problem is that these types of players always appear, it’s a vicious cycle, we removed one toxic player from the server today and two appear tomorrow, I believe that funcom has tools to work better on land limits granted to players.

@stelagel What is your opinion on this, and do you agree that funcom should limit the size of areas to build?

1 Like

I’d just go build elsewhere and leave them be. However I’m alone in minority in this line of thinking.

2 Likes

my area is in another place, I was just walking around and came across this, in fact this clan has been there for a while, I have already reported it, it would be my omission to leave something absurd like this without contacting funcom.

Their admins do, yes.

Not the responsibility of their developers. Problem is, most in this community don’t know the difference.

1 Like

so for this reason even though I think there should be restrictions, it would improve server performance and the game would be clean

That structure is very much less than 5k pieces. It might even be below 2,500 pieces.

It takes around 2,000,000 building pieces to start giving a server issues, and only if most of them are loaded at a single time. And that’s assuming subpar server configurations.

For PVE and PVE-C if you want a single best way to improve server performance, turn off the setting that keeps bodies in world after the player logs out. Its a night and day difference.

3 Likes

To be fair to the builder you need a million different work stations which take up a lot of space, so this is by design. For example look at the size of the animal pens. Another example is in pvp, you have to honey comb a million walls to stop players from entering your base. All of this is by design. Sand box games are fun but they can be bad at the same time.

My opinion for building in official servers is equal to @DeaconElie. I didn’t read his opinion in this topic but we are on the same line here. We build as less as possible and only to protect what we need. But mostly because we enjoy this game more as fighters than builders when we speak about official servers. Me and Deacon see official servers as a park, we like to claim a tree not the forest!

But because we see it this way that doesn’t mean that the one whi claims the forest is wrong and allow me to explain why please.

All the players play for a mutual reason, fun! Stelagel likes to fight, Geee loves rare thralls, drukuku loves to build creative builds in noob river, @jmk1999 loves to build magnificent buildings perfectly decorated with his partner, @MightyZeus pays the whole damn bazaar so he can fix his creations…
They all do it for fun, so they are not to be blamed! Above all we are all players and we must be really careful to each other and above all, respectful!

So i beg my fellow exiles to understand me and respect my view of what the op shows. I am not against the fun this person has, i respect it, but isn’t it a bit… Mine, mine, mine… (seagulls of finding Nemo) when a person decides to build China walls on officials?
I don’t believe that these builders actually represent the building community, am i wrong. I would beg the builders to answer, not me!

2 Likes

When people like this come to my server I tell them to do these things in solo mode.
This is why all private servers have some kind of building rules. And the one OP posted is not really that big, but already too big…

My RP friendly Aesir longhouse has an Inn at the ground floor + workshop, then there is master bedroom at the 1st floor, treasure room, bathroom, 3 guest rooms. 1200 building pieces after 1 year of building and rebuilding the same base. Other pal on my server has clan-ready castle with walls, towers and separate structures inside - 2200 blocks…

There should be just a cap on how many construction pieces can one place on officials.

It’s violating ToS, that simple it is. Check this thread:

I just want to add that posting it here won’t solve anything, you better properly report the player who built this. (as you already did, as I now read it). But yes, everytime someone like this appears and when dev-wiped, will be complaining cause he does not know this is not allowed on officials.

My personal opinion: When it’s not blocking some passage or causing serious lags, I would leave that be.

This is not anything about design, this is just plain useless landclaim.

The huge wall from the screenshots could have more animal pens inside and there would still be left enough room for other workstations.

That honeycombing you mentioned was never to be there. PvP is about raiding and also about being ok with being raid. If you want your base to be impenetrable, better to play on PVE-C maybe, because everything is raidable, when you are not defending it actively. And if some clan is determined to raid your base, for the layering of walls they will just farm more explosive and raid it anyways.

When you have yourself established somewhere, its easy to take on this opinion and stance. As a player I would even agree with it. But as an admin, it would get actioned, and the reasoning there is that it is much easier to action it before it gets out of hand.

If a server begins to support a decent population, and these sorts of builds get prevalent due to the precedent of allowing them if they ‘don’t bother anyone’. Then the game world quickly fills up and then players will now be forced to build in PoIs, rare or saturated resource locations, and in areas that will block off passages.

This is aggravated by the fact that these servers have passive moderation (and need to be as there is 780 of them). And thus these builds get refreshed for a long time even if the owner isn’t actively playing.

Too often players don’t realize that their actions have consequences way beyond what they can see and what they personally do. In this example by the OP, the build probably is unnoticed by most of the server and only seen by those who happen to go exploring around that area. But the fact that it exists or more specifically if it is allowed to exist, sets a precedent for everyone else. If they can have it, everyone can. If everyone can do this, they will. This means you will begin to see this everywhere and it will exacerbate issues.

Will it cause server performance to degrade? Not normally, no. But in high congested areas, it potentially could. Because while this building is relatively ‘light’ and I say that because it contains a ton of empty space. What large builds can do is cause multiple chunks to need to be loaded and send information to everyone active in them. So when dozens of these builds are in a region, all those chunks need to be loaded and all of those players are communicating information to the server to each other and everything is loaded. So on subpar performing servers, it can get problematic.

This is why admins including FC admins, request that players only use as much space as they need. You can pretty it up a bit. But having large swaths of buildings with no function is frowned upon. Smaller builds mean smaller footprints and less likely to need as many parts of the map loaded at the same time. The amount of building pieces does eventually matter… but footprint matters so much more in most cases.

You can build a tower with a small footprint that takes a number of building pieces 2x, 5x, or even 10x as much as the example above and have less overall impact. Now this isn’t always 100% true, but it serves as a decent guideline for the layman player.

Private server owners/admins will simply use a building limit because its easy to see, measure, and enforce. But they also can judge on the spot when things get out of hand even under those limits. They have that ability, when you run 780 servers, you don’t.

2 Likes

Of course I agree with you, only I don’t have that much insight to it as admins do. My point was that I see and know it is wrong, but on the other hand I don’t want to spend my in-game time running around and reporting everything what is violating the official rules. :smiley: So far I reported only one claim, and that was extreme. But doing it on regular bases? Nah…

This specific case is clear, sooner or later that player is going to be wiped.

//Too often players don’t realize that their actions have consequences way beyond what they can see and what they personally do//

Thanks to various helpful people here I also learned my lesson in the past, because I did not understand the “harmless and tiny” decorative landclaim problems, for example. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s interesting.
When I started playing everyone was crazy about foundations, that they cause lag etc
"DONT YOU BUILD WALLS OUT OF FOUNDATIONS GRR! "
Then it was statues, then candles and other light sources.

I also heard recently that Conan Server app reaches it’s peak performance at 32GB of RAM and having that bundled with CPU from NASA does not bring any gain in performance.
So mediocreish CPU + 32GB of RAM is perfect?

Would you share your opinion on hardware and what slows down server the most etc?

Another player that thinks that problems go away with spamming reports. :smirk:

Officials is like Kensington Avenue in Philly while privates are like Fifth Avenue in New York.

You get the server experience you have choosen. Its as simple as that. :balance_scale:

2 Likes