What's the point of the "Escape the Exiles Lands" step if you can do it from the menu?

What’s the difference between doing these 2 things?

1. Bring up the game menu and click on RECREATE CHARACTER

2. Fight your way through The Black Keep and kill The Kinscourge for the Tears of Two Races. Go to The Sinkhole and kill the Undead Dragon for the Star of the Champion. Go to the Palace of the Witch Queen and kill The Witch Queen for the Mask of the Witch Queen. Brave the lava and snakemen of The Well of Skelos and kill the last serpentman for The Shining Trapezohedron. Travel to The Mounds and open the tome to The Barrow King, kill The King Beneath for the Diadem of the Giant-kings. Go to Gallaman’s Tomb and kill a giant crocodile for a Jagged Scourgestone Piece. Go to Buccaneer Bay and kill Gall/Hekkr for a Shattered Scourgestone Piece. Climb down into The Passage and kill the Sand Reaper Hive Queen for a Broken Scourgestone Piece. Travel to the Sandswept Ruins and create the Scourgestone from the 3 pieces. Climb up to the Altar of Chaosmouth and use it to combine all 6 items into The Keystone. Use The Keystone.

Both options delete your character, cause you to lose all of your structures and items, and force you to start over.

So what’s the point of doing that long drawn out quest when you can do the same thing with one click of the submenu?

1 Like

Option 1 does not tell you the story.

The entire and only purpose of this quest is to tell you a story. So if you have no interest in it or do not wish to abandon all what you built, you can choose at anytime to not break your bracelet and stay.

5 Likes

Honestly even if you have to start over, it should allow you to come back without a bracelet. Story or not it’s silly for it to simply delete your character.

Me, I never finished it just because of that. There’s no reward I can take along with me and if I want to see the ending then I can just watch it on youtube.

1 Like

I love these ideas!

The game is over when you take of the bracelet, your character is free.

It is the accomplishment, the entire point of playing in the exiled lands.

You have the cutscene where your character wanders off into the sunset.

At some point (no idea if still) there were fragments of an epilogue in the game files, visible via devkit. It showed your character leaving the land together with Conan and Razma, tagging along with them for new adventures.

That seemingly was cut from the game, maybe to be finished later.

restart character is useful online, it works abit weird offline singleplayer. Its not the same that wise.

Actually achieving goals of final journal? Its own reward.

Never used it online,

rescreate character will slap in back in same world. (offline/online) Online this is kinda neat. Offline, the game doesnt fully wipe map. So your left with floating thralls, torches, empty chest, 1 part of a wall by itself. (neat…but can be glitchy, with land claim issue from old character.)

Its better to restart from main menu, since it’ll be clean map.

Last time I used Keystone, was offline, and was back in same world with floating objects. (like above)

what i’d love is an option at that screen… A “leave the exiled lands forever?” button and the option to keep playing with the bracelet off (actually appears on your character).

I feel like I’ve had this conversation before…

How is this different from finishing any other game? I mean, you can play Mass Effect, or Super Mario, or Fallout, and eventually you’ll reach the end of the game. Then you have to start over if you want to play the game again. You can start any game from the beginning at any point without any sense of achievement, or you can play the game up to its scripted end and feel like you’ve completed it.

It’s not a flaw to include a game-end condition in a game.

2 Likes

This would be a requirement for a possible sorcery system, since those bacelet supress any kind of magic.
But the problem would be that your character would not understand anyone anymore.

For now it’s just the game end

1 Like

Personally, I feel that this final Journey Step could use an ever so minor tweaking. I wish that when we are given the option of removing the Bracelet using the Keystone, selecting the “No” option would also log the Journey Step as completed.

You have gathered the artefacts of the Giant-kings, their enemies and their allies. You have defeated the Servant of the Ring and earned your right to freedom. Now, you need only complete the ritual to free you of the bracelet and escape the Exiled Lands forever. Or, you can choose to stay and dominate. You must make a choice.

The description suggests that it is a personal decision between two options. So why not allow the ‘No’ option to complete it? Sure we wont be able to take revenge on Thoth Anon (probably a suicide mission), but the Keystone will still be safe with us in the Exiled Lands beyond his reach. Furthermore, we could still elect the “Yes” option at a later date if we wanted to change our minds. Tweak the completion message slightly and allow us to log the step as completed using the “No” option.

2 Likes

At a guess (since I don’t personally have this problem I can only guess) it may be that, as a sandbox game with relatively little story (not little for a sandbox survival game, but for games in general), a “story end” that doesn’t contribute to the sandbox/endless feeling but rather takes away from it may be jarring?

Could be. Personally, it bothers me more when a sandboxy game with a solid story, like the Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Starpoint Gemini, etc. give you the option to keep playing after the story is finished, endlessly wandering a world you can no longer influence in any meaningful fashion. Didn’t the story I just played through have no meaning? I feel I want to have a “Game over” where the story ends.

But to each their own, I guess.

1 Like

Aye. IIRC the Witcher did it quite well (was there anything that game didn’t do well?) in that it would inform you that pursuing certain questlines beyond a certain point could make irrevocable choices to the gameworld, so if you had loose ends to tie up, now would be the time to do it. Or something of that nature. While it did break the suspension of disbelief a little, I though that was a decent way to go about it.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.