Which PC game is your current favourite game?

I like Astroneer because their haptic inventory system is an industry first. Everything in that world maintains it’s physical form from picking it up, to being placed on your backpack. It never get’s turned into an icon or a …database entry. Instead of “playing the UI” the physical world itself is your UI. Each structure you build is a UI element upon which you can store a physical object on… kind of like Ultima Online’s inventory system. It’s extremely intuitive and refreshing. Feels real.

The gameplay of Astroneer is base building…but then you start unlocking thesr rovers which act as bases on wheels… I love strategic mobility ever since Star Trek… These Starships that are floating autonomous cities with their own ecology.

Which brings me to Empyrion: Galactic Survival. Imagine your base on CE could fly to another planet. That is Empyrion. I kid you not. It’s the most feature rich and well designed game I have ever played. It’s feature set even outperforms star citizen and all survival game I have ever played. It is like the culmination of the last 2 decades of video game history and technology. Farming, building, exploring, shooting, mining, trading, purge defence, levelling up, you name it. It has it, at a fidelity never before seen in such a combination, across a dozen star systems each with unique planets and moons.

X4: Foundation is also unique in that you are the sole Proprietor of an entire faction.
The best way to describe this game is to describe my favorite scenario:

I stand on the bridge of a space carrier which I help build (economically through my freighters) and bought, surrounded by my crew, whome I personally hired and trained, while witnessing the coming and going of trade ships in and out of my space station complex in front of my carrier.

I teleport down to my space station “halcyon prime” and take a walk along the promenade of the docking bay, overlooking the many modules of halcyon prime… Farms, factories, tech labs, defence platforms, loading docks. I hear the bustle and busy chatter of comm. I experience traffic overhead, and am humbled by the sheer size of one of the “tiny” starships I saw from my carrier docking on the landing pad next to me, at the dock i am standing on.

I open my galactic map, and direct my freighters, capital ships, fighters. Several worlds at my fingertips. Then I bring my favorite star fighter to the equipment dock and pimp it out with some upgrades. Then I take it out for a spin, and teleport to another starship’s cockpit when i’m bored. I have yet to go to war with anyone… but when I do, it’d be Battlestar Galactica.

These games offer experiences that are beyond our lifetimes at a fidelity as close to reality as technically possible while remaining fun.

I am a fan of exotic experiences that take themselves seriously.

An example of this is also the pregnancy mod for Skyrim, which gives your female character the ability to menstruate and become pregnant, have children or have a miscarriage when she get’s beaten up in combat. Something that legitimizes the existence of gender to begin with. With that mod, your character is more than just a visual mod from the male counterpart.

Frankly the experience that sold me on CE was it’s sense of agency. Looking down to see a pair of boobs, your feat leaving foot prints in the sand. How cool is that? I usually hate pitch black nights and have for a long time hated this feature… but I cannot deny that nighttime is an experience in and of itself. Suddenly the graphical fidelity of a torch becomes a feature that is important to you.

It’s things like these that has true value. Something you can’t say “Been there, done that” on.
These are nuances no cheat can be leveraged upon, because these are experiences, not points.

When then standard mechanics of a game is so fun that you don’t feel compelled to cheat, it succeeded in being a game.

But then… You need to have a certain state of mind to be receptive of sandbox experiences:

1. Existence doesn’t need to justify itself.
  2. You are not in competition with anything. Just make the best of everything and never look back.
  3. You savor life by tasting the nuances.
  4. There is no you. There is only what you do, for mere thought is an action. (Laymen’s Terms: There is no soul.) You only think you have a soul, so you don’t feel like you are born just to die. But if your existence doesn’t need justification, you are thankful for it. You carry yourself differently in life. You suddenly realize that you are a 1 in a whole order magnitude of a chance of even existing and being aware of it, that you savor each moment as a cosmic miracle.

Gamers live a thousand lives. They might be illusions, but they are all experiences no other can savor.

“Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.” - Conan, Queen of the Black Coast

Maybe I’m hardcore on the escapism, and I’m actually catatonicly depressed, or maybe I’ve unlocked the secret to eternal happiness. All I know is that I’m having a sustainable blast, so I must be doing things right.

2 Likes

If you like shooters, you should try Planetside 2. Its an older game now, since it came out in 2012, but it gives an experience no other does. Imagine playing Battlefield (very close to what 2142 was), but instead of a match ending on a map, it simply continues and you travel to the next map, or in this case the next base.

1 Like

And
Dude you can cheese it… you wouldn’t be a mod here if you didn’t like CE… ;p

Battlefield series… ahhh…
FPS used to be a case of awesome sp games with mp slapped on, now it’s the other way around…

BF campaigns are great but too short…and as someone with a hand injury I can not enjoyably compete in mp… the Laurence of Arabia and the Anzac campaigns were a thrill to play… great story, great games.
It’s sad that BF5’s continuing content is MP focused…

Ironically, with CE (Xbox) I was hoping for more mp… socially as in voice and text chat… but solo offline with decay turned off rocks… for giggles and shts I decided to build a wall around sepermeru… now thats like building the Great Wall of china… loving it… in 10 years when that’s done i’ll Make a highway from seper to Asgard… ;p

That’s what I love about CE, it’s the closest thing to having unlimited LEGO without the pain of stepping on one when going to the loo in the middle of the night…

1 Like

Nope, I just finish a second play through of the Battletech campaign in Ironman mode and now am into the flashpoints.

My Current list of favorite games are in this order.

1. Subnautica - Amazing single player game from the team that brought us Natural Selection 1 & 2, tight design, good story great music and amazing sound design…fear the reaper.
  2. Battletech - Another great single player TBT game, I love the music and voice acting.
  3. Conan Exiles - I love the game, and it’s definitely improving, one of the best multiplayer survival building games, definitely the best builder.
  4. World of Tanks - Definitely P2W issues with this game, but I’ve been with it since the beginning and it’s come a long way.
1 Like

I miss the old Battlefields like Vietnam. :frowning:

1 Like

I miss ah64 on the c 64. I miss a lot of c64 games, the stuff they packed in so little space…
Sadly I’m shallow and just could not get back into those games…
I spent half my youth in elite and when it hit the Xbox I was on the moon… but 3 hours into playing it was a case of thanks but no thanks…
Go figure…

1 Like

Tried it back in 2014. I kinda liked it but I sort of lost interest in it after a while. Every skirmish started to feel samey and performance and lag issues ended up ruining the rest for me ;(

Use that new fancy computer you play Conan on nowadays :sunglasses:

It can get a little monotonous at times. But I’d recommend trying to run with a decent group of friends or outfit, it can spice things up quite nicely. Its definitely not a solo player’s game.

1 Like

Used to like it but the devs had a hard on for constantly nerfing the Infiltrator and anything fun.

Btw did they ever go through with that Cash Shop cybernetic upgrade that would allow you and your whole squad to see cloaked infliltrators? I remember lots of talk on their end about it.

I have been playing “waiting for bug fixes” for 9 months now. And it seems to me that I will play this for another couple of years.

1 Like

You mean Gunship? My family and I spent so many hours playing that! Great times. I’ve occasionally played it on my C64 emulator.

Yes gunship… I spent way too many hours on that…
I stopped playing when I took out the last vc base on the map, while on auto rotate and limping into base to earn the cmoh…

Long and hard session, and well Jack Hunter needed to get back to his warbride… :wink:

Since my laptop can’t run Conan Exiles, just 10 minutes in and it enters emergency sleep mode to cool down, hence why I play it on PS4, I’d say my favourite PC games at current would be;

• Shadowverse: A fun Hearthstone-esque (according to reviews at least) card game, took a bit of practice to familiarise myself with the rules. Lately I’ve been using the Dragoncraft and Bloodcraft cards, the amount of times I’ve managed a comeback with the card Forte, The Dark Dragoon is surprising.The fact it’s free is a plus.

• Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen: I have this game on PC, PS3 & PS4, not a stretch to say it is one of my all-time favourites. I tend to use the Magick Archer vocation mostly, but occasionally use Strider, Ranger or Assassin (Might be why I prefer the daggers in Conan Exiles :sweat_smile:).

• Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City: I don’t care what people say about this game, I find it fun (Then again, I’m in the minority where I dislike RE 4 & 5, but like RE 6), sure it has it’s flaws and a few annoying bosses (NEMESIS!), but it’s a great time when playing with friends. Not a fan of the Spec Ops campaign though, feels boring compared to the USS campaign.

I will be upgrading to a better PC sometime this year so I can finally run Conan Exiles on PC, and a few of my other Steam titles.

Going to go a little off topic here. This is a damn shame. And it happens way too much. What alot of people don’t realize is computer hardware (CPU, GPU, ect.) is designed to run at 100% of its capacity for the entire duration of its life(so a 4.0GHz CPU will do its full 4,000,000,000 processes a second) which is about 5-10 years. When it overheats, its not the component, but something else causing that. Usually in the case of laptops its a poor design of airflow.

What this means is laptop owners normally do not get the full capacity of their hardware that they paid good money for. Some laptops can do this. But most cannot. Its borderline false advertising when you get a nice GPU in a laptop, and it overheats when you use it.

This isn’t a dig on the person I’m quoting. As we’ve all bought laptops that do this. Its just annoying that it happens and that many people have perfectly capable hardware in the laptop, just the manufacturer skipped out on the design features to utilize it. I really wish something could be done about that.

2 Likes

When people tell me, “Cauthey, I want to buy a new laptop. Can you help me?”… my first question is always: “Why does it need to be a laptop?”

People get caught up with the “need” for a laptop the same way we get stuck on certain product images, or brands. After a little dose of reality, I would say 2 out of 3 decide that they truly have no need for portability and mobility with their computing, and thus, do not need a laptop.

If you are going to buy a laptop, and park it down on a desk, in an office, or a relatively fixed space, buy a desktop. Your wallet, your processing capabilities, your cooling, and your dual monitor rig will thank you immensely. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Solitaire

I haven’t played Total War…other then the warhammer series.

I haven’t owned a tv in almost a decade…my computers are amazing though. Even the crap one.

I also still own a tracfone flip phone. I wish I knew how old it was but the oldest picture I took and kept on it is from 2011. =P

The first game I was absolutely addicted to was Starcraft, Everquest was the first and only game I lived for. Oddly Conan Exiles was the first game that sort of reminded me of the feeling I had starting out in Everquest in '97. It wasn’t the same, never will be. I truly miss that sensation of finding a game that you think you can do, be, create anything.

Enders Game (the book, I never watched the movie…the game he plays in that, where everything is possible and it’s not supposed to be beaten, that is my dream game) Especially if it’s designed with my fascinations involved.

FPS…I don’t give two (censored) about guns. Hell, I have no affinity for bows or crossbows.

My actual fascination with medieval weaponry barely gets covered at all. The great axe. (dane axe) l will stop here as otherwise I’ll go off.

Interestingly enough, my first love of video games was space invaders =P and all pinball games that had ramps, chutes, or any other under-the-table mechanics.

A Dane axe is too slow when faced with a rapier and dagger…

But they do bloody hurt…

Everquest had its moments… as did wow and eso and…
But what developers forget is that a good story needs a good end…

And there is the dilemma, how do you make a good end but still keep ppl playing?
Bio shock series… loved em… great story, great end… replay. No…

Elite… like Pac-Man has no end… I played it to death…
But on a replay meh…

Uhm yeah… did you know Arnold, the conan one had to stop working out and lose muscle because he couldn’t wield a sword…

Stay well friend…

It has actually come to a point where I can’t start a game where I know there is an end.

Like I played Divinity: Original Sin. I actually stopped half way through because I didn’t want it to end. I feel like all the “work” I do, all the meticulous min-maxing was all for naught.

I need to feel like every little thing I do matters well into the ages. I want to save resources, and use resources economically. “save for the future”.

I don’t want to do a great deed which promptly sends me to the credit screen. That to me is like death.

When I left the planet on Subnautica, I was SOOOOOOOOOO soo sooooo sad. Like “Why the hell did I do that? Being stranded is heaven!”

I play Subnautica: Sub-Zero now and the updates can’t come fast enough lol. I’m just glad the experience is gated by updates x)

Nyeah… I also stopped playing Farcry 5, because it was all the same experience up until the end. You feel like you miss out on something if you don’t do what the game wants you to do.

In CE, one misses not a luxury unknown. You do whatever the hell you wanna do, with absolutely no pressure whatsoever. I find that liberating. (PvE anyway… PvP would probably pop a few of my veins)

So my best friend is a real power gamer. He burns fuel so quick nobody can keep up… I got Anthem just to play with him. In the end he got decked out in full legendary, perfect spec to a point where he one-shot everything. He never plays anymore. Only if I ask him for help.

If that is what awaits me as well, I want no part of it. I would rather know how to handle eternity and be content with that, than chase a goal and find nothing beyond.

I own everything there is to be had on CE. I have done everything, 300 times over. But instead of being bored, I find myself finding solace in routine.

I like grinding stone to turn into hardened brick, to invest into upgrading to marble.
I like getting more shadespice to make more silver veins rocknoses, to complement my gold-vein rock noses, which in turn let’s me make more alchemical base, to deck my soldiers out in epic armor. Who the hell decks out thralls in epic armor!?! Well, I do, because I can afford to.

It’s like a fisher’s cadence in life. It’s like retiring and taking care of a garden, I guess.

I might be at the perfect age for that sort of stuff. Something that gives structure.

I cannot do PvP anymore, because I hate the eternal conflict, absolutely artificial as it is.
I cannot do MMORPG’s anymore, seeing the carrot on a stick, gear replaced each expansion, 24 people who hate each other, forced to play with one another just to progress, laughing at each other’s immature jokes - strangers as much as they are a family.
Looter Shooters are too RnG. Diablo 3 I play just for pure fun, but never for long.

There’s something about ARK, CE, Empyrion and the X Series that keep me going… it’s that these games don’t feel artificial, because it mimics life - a life otherwise impossible in RL. A life that feels bigger than life?

Yes… That’s it.

When I played Fallout 76, I discovered something profound. At first I thought bases that log out with you was a crazy good idea, and solves all the problems CE has… but then I quickly realized that structural persistence is the very soul of sandboxes.

In F76 (not to mention the obvious millions of problems surrounding that game…) when you log on, it feels hollow.

You log on CE, sure there aren’t much people around, but the little that IS there is familiar to you. The land has more character and personality than Appalachia because of the player buildings.

Frankly, to have a base log out when you log out, is like playing singleplayer.

No other people to validate or legitimize your achievements. Non to witness your existence. The majesty of your presence is but mere transience.

2 Likes

I don’t really have one but I like Xcom Enemy Within, Skyrim SE, Age of Wonders Shadow Magic and 3, Morrowind, Fallout 3+NV+4, Conan Exiles, KOTOR I+II, and Civilization IV + V are some of my favorites.