Why can't I play this game offline?

I have about 50 hours of gameplay of conan exiles, I like the game very much, but my job has me months at times without internet access, why can’t I enjoy the game without having internet access? Come on you can do better.

There is singleplayer mode.

You still need to be on line to “sign in” to funcom authentication.

Once long ago you could play single player while off line, then you needed a mod to play off line, then for a brief amount of time off line mode was in the start up menu. But now you still have to have a connection to play.

I had friends in the military who couldn’t connect for long periods of time.
For their sake I have always said off line mode should be an option.

I’m able to play without internet, so I’m not sure how that works.

Can you unplug your ethernet cable and still play?

it’s simply not possible, I tried making a single player save while online and tried again offline, game simply doesn’t let you play if you’re completely offline.

A friend of mine told me that you could play offline and that was the reason I bought it, but I was very disappointed when I found out that it’s nowadays plagued by the always online thing.

At one time it was possible, sadly that is no longer the case.

I suspect the parent company of funcom had something to do with it’s removal.

Well… you definitely can play the game and its DLC’s on your own private world without the need of an internet connection. However you can’t play on any server and/or use bazaar and battle pass items (if you bought any).

EDIT: Tried a few minutes ago on Steam and you can. Not sure on other platforms.

Can you unplug your ethernet cable and still play?

You need to start an offline game once on line; or it used to work that way. You just wont have access to battle pass or bazaar items.

Yep. I did logged into a private game I already had started before though. Not sure if you can create your first world while offline. Haven’t tried that to be honest.

Same single player game from 2017

If you need to be connected to restart a saved game, you’re not playing off line.

I play this game 1000% offline. Even if I bring my laptop to work, where there is no internet at all, I still play the game. So, again, it’s does have single player offline play.

1 Like

On update days, I usually block Steam’s access to the network with a firewall or even arrange a total blockade of the network for a day or two until the mods are updated. The program allows this, a message pops up that “there is no connection with the Steam servers, you can play offline, or connect later.”
But some large mods do not allow this, for example, Age of Calamitous. I came across this recently.

Okay, HOW?
I would love to play my single player while not on line.
My game will not start unless it connects to “FunCom live services” first.

Not even if I bypass the launcher by directly clicking the executable.

So step by step please?

1 Like

Maybe some regional shenanigans?

But why can’t we just disable this pointless FLS? It is a complete bullshit, a nonsense, utter stupidity that we are forced to have internet connection to play. It is not a f…ing multiplayer-only game, why can’t we just… play it? why do we have to deal with all of these kind of things?

And I bring it up again: why the hell is pressing esc does NOT stop the game? In OFFLINE SINGLE-PLAYER mode? (Well, now we can’t even play offline anymore, because of this bloatware).

Literally, this game lacks so basic, so fundamental, yet so smilple functions, that even 20-30 years old games solved already.

1 Like

DISCLAIMER: The following all applies to the Steam edition of Conan Exiles. I have no experience with Game Pass and Epic Games editions of it. Needless to say, this is all for PC. If you’re playing on a console, you’re in the wrong forum :wink:

Depends on what you mean by “will not start”. The normal behavior is that Conan Exiles will start, then try to log you in, then display an error message. Despite that error message, you will be able to continue your single-player game.

For this to work, you have to have Steam running in offline mode, and you have to have run the game in online mode at least once before, so that your FLS account info is cached in your Game.ini file.

If your Conan Exiles executable fails to even start under the conditions I outlined above, that’s not normal.

Sure. Here are the steps you have to follow only once:

1. Make sure Steam is running and it’s not in offline mode. Make sure your Internet connection works.
  2. Start Conan Exiles.
  3. Wait until you’re logged in and able to use your in-game main menu like always.
  4. Quit the game.

If you want to check whether the steps above worked, here’s what you can do:

1. Open your Game.ini file.
  2. Look for the [FuncomLiveServices] section.
  3. Make sure there’s a line that starts with CachedUsers= and has TitleDisplayName=XYZ#12345 in it, where XYZ is your Steam display name and 12345 is a random-looking 5-digit number.

What I described above should make sure that your FLS account is cached, so you can play offline. To play offline:

1. Make sure Steam is running in offline mode. If you don’t know how to do this, you can Google it, there’s plenty of info on that.
  2. Start Conan Exiles.
  3. Don’t freak out when you get the login error message. The game will try to log you in and let you know it failed, but that just means you can’t play online. You can still play your single-player game.
  4. Continue your single-player game as usual.

If you want, you can try using BUGLE instead of Funcom’s own launcher. One of the features of BUGLE is that it will let you know whether you can play online or offline, and it also tries to do this whole “log into FLS and cache the account” thing without even having to run the game. Bear in mind that BUGLE also requires Steam to start Conan Exiles, because Conan Exiles simply won’t work without it. BUGLE will not allow you to circumvent game’s protections.

One thing to keep in mind is that even though you can play offline, all your BP and BLB stuff will be unavailable. Yeah, it sucks. Welcome to the new monetization. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thanks @CodeMage you are awesome.

Well, a lot of users said I just hsve to click ok, when it said 'failed to login".
I tried that multiple times, no luck. I pressed OK, and then continue, and this message popped up again.
@CodeMage , I checked the game.ini file, my.username and numbers are stored (I knew that, I started this save online, but I doublechecked it too).