World Boss trolling

Hello friends,
So what’s the latest tech in anti-troll building? Today I had some guy start pulling world bosses into my base, killing my thralls.

He then proceeded to threaten and try to blackmail me into giving him an ‘electric horse’ (the Wight horse from BP).

Naturally I’d rather pull down the entire base than give the punk what he wanted, but I’d prefer to just build my way out of it. So far I just put up a five-foundation high sandstone monstrosity (it’s PvE so it should suffice).

But what are the do’s and dont’s in terms of preventing trolls from causing further issues?

(I don’t know if it’s against official server rules to do what he did but I did submit my first ever Zendesk ticket on the matter).

7 Likes

You did, what had to be done.
Now, the only thing you can do, is pray to the gods. But not Crom! Crom doesn’t care!

7 Likes

Aww, you should have given him the “electric horse”… This would’ve been one of the only scenarios where you would’ve loved seeing someone be broken by the “You are NOT ENTITLED to use this” message :stuck_out_tongue:

I think in a case like this, being PvE server and all, you would have to have video evidence of them kiting the bosses deliberately for them to take action. You can always try making the report even without though, screenshots of the chatlog where he admits it and blackmails you might go a long way too.

6 Likes

Yeah I did submit those (naming and shaming is against forum rules so can’t post them here, and cba to go and make ‘em anonymous)

1 Like

Yeah I know, but I wasn’t sure if BP items fell under that umbrella or not (I was a bit preoccupied saving thralls)

Never build in close proximity of world bosses.

3 Likes

I woud kill the worlboss take the free key and then woud bild a killzone for the next time whit archers on towers that handling the boss and woud write him a message and thank him for the free key :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Sure. It’s not that close though, I tried pulling it over myself when first settling and couldn’t (it snapped back) - but clearly I don’t know how to troll properly :sweat_smile:

If I’m online (which I randomly was halfway thru the attack this time) I can handle the boss, probably solo if necessary. My thralls, however, cannot.

It sucks to run into trolls and griefers. Fortunately, there’s a relatively easy solution: have walls around your base. They don’t have to be “a five-foundation high sandstone monstrosity”. In fact, that kind of wall might expose you to the risk of malicious reports. But a wall that blends well with your build style and isn’t too far from your build (so it doesn’t look like you’re artificially expanding your claim) should work just fine.

5 Likes

Yeah I am a little worried about that, but I put the wall less than a foundation away from my buildings especially so it wouldn’t look like I was claim-griefing. I definitely plan to replace it with something pretty over time, but that’s exactly why I want to know if there are any “don’ts” that would allow people through (such as the big three-tile gates, closed or otherwise?).

1 Like

I haven’t tried using the stable gate frames from the Riders of Hyboria DLC, so I can’t talk about whether some glitch in the pathfinding and/or physics would allow large bosses to “hop over” them somehow.

I normally build a castle for all my stuff, so I can keep everything properly contained, so I use the 3 tile wide, 4 tile tall gates. And since the gate is 4 tiles tall, my curtain wall is normally 4 tiles tall too, with fences on top.

That setup used to be quite effective when it comes to stopping critters coming in. I’ve never had it tested by a griefer, though.

1 Like

Few days ago someone bring the scorpion King to our base. I don’t know how…since 2.x or something they shouldn’t follow you so far.

It kills one of our archers in front of the base. I was naked with building Hammer and sandstorm mask. Not prepared for a fight so I try to show the scorpion the way back. If we were at his home place I climed up. Then he goes back to our base and just chill in front of it … I take him to the rocknose boss and they start fight… So I go home back and guess who was in front of our door… Mr scorpion…
Finaly I take my weapon and kill him. But this was strange that he was thinking his home spawnpoint was in front of our base.

Is that a new way to attack bases on pve? It’s pvec btw but that’s the same in this case.

@OP: I think you did the right thing to report him. Specially after this attempt to blackmail you…and also because its pve without c so you can’t slay him for this :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been griefed like this which led me to discover that you can build cattle guards in the game. A very low fence foundation is enough to prevent NPCs from crossing over it, so you can build a boundary wall of low fence foundations. At points where you want to enable players to cross over you can put a ramp up to a fence foundation. Then using some trickery put another fence foundation parallel and very close to it, and put a ramp on that fence foundation as well. If they are close enough a player can walk right over them without even falling into the gap between them, but no NPC can cross.

3 Likes

As far as I know, BP items cant be looted by players who also dont own them, so it wouldnt have worked anyway. Im not totally sure of this though,

1 Like

Ummmmm isn’t the wight horse an entitled item? So it would just follow him and he can’t ride it?

The best way I can think of is if you catch him kiting the monster to you…wall him and the monster together and watch the fun. When he dies, remove all the foundations and anticlimb.

1 Like

Yes :smiley: that’s why I suggested giving it to him as a means of torture :smiley:

2 Likes

One might say haunted by it

2 Likes

I assume he wouldn’t be able to pick it up, yes. Didn’t feel like taking the chance though. Also my pride prohibits me from bowing to that kinda ■■■■■■ behavior even if the goods would be useless to him. I’d rather break bond with it, which I did.

6 Likes

On the official pve server we play on their is a rot branch next door to the island we share built a wall months ago to prevent kiting tomorrow might be a good time to test how it works. @Mikey

1 Like