Difficulty in adding more restricted zones to the map to prevent bannings and other issues?

Cool… You realize that, no, its not that simple, right? The reason a “blocker” would be helpful is because:

1. Not all players know all respawn points of all the Boss Npcs.

2. Not all players know all the spawns of all the resources that Funcom deems important enough to
    wipe and ban/suspend you for even if you accidently despawned them.

3. Again, not all players know all the npc spawns that Funcom deems important enought to wipe and
    ban/suspend you for even if you accidently despawned them.

It is simple for you and I because we know all the spawn points after years and years of playing the maps. This is not the case for all players especially the new ones and the ones who may give this game a chance possibly for the first time when 3.0 is released. I don’t think being banned/suspended is the greatest first impression I could think of playing a game and doing something you didn’t know was wrong. A new player could easily assume that if you can build somewhere that you are allowed to build there.

3 Likes

I could be wrong but I thought 3.0 was going to let offline and private server turn off building restrictions.

A nee person who doesnt read the terms of service and say “huh, what are they talking about?” and then jump on officials doesnt concern me.

Do they know it exists though?

I agree that there is personal responsibility at play here but the ToC is not as easy as you and I would think to find.

And even if they did find it, do they understand it? Because I still have my reservations.

2 Likes

When you play on anything owned by someone else, there are always terms of service/conduct. I’d say anyone who is not aware needs a life lesson. It certainly means that actual game function should not need adjusted because someone can’t be bothered to read the rules. At some point there has to be standards. I won’t wade back into the whole clear/not clear/fair/not fair but even if they were completely bulletproof, it still relies on people reading them and caring to abide by them. Reading them is the least minimal effort and is completely reasonable.

I’d also add that if someone can find their way to the forum to complain about being banned, they were equally capable of finding their way here to read the rules.

Most won’t come to the forums unless they have something to complain about. If nothing adverse happens to them they will happily go about their merry way enjoying themselves in the game. To most the TOS only matters to them if it affects them negatively, usually again after the fact .

Major game function is not the issue. The issue is allowed game function as in what you are allowed to do (building) results in (possibly) a punishment . By potentially I mean if someone actually reports your misdeeds or not.

When I am on an new official server poking around and I see someone has blundered and block a major boss spawn or decided to build a summer home over part of The Shattered Springs (Ugh the sulfur smell) blocking a bit of the brimstone from respawning I will give a non-named shout out in general chat, “Hey, who ever built a large building in the The Shattered Springs (brimstone pond) you might want to consider moving it as you are blocking the spawning of brimstone there and some players get sore about that and may report you and get you in some trouble”.

Usually this is enough , either they read the message or it gets back them somehow and a few hours to a few days later the building is moved or gone, however I don’t play on all the officials out there and I am not sure if others do this and even if they did they can’t be everywhere either.

Again, some players are not being jerks and on purposely blocking a Boss or resource they simply don’t know any better and unfortunately many (the majority most times) won’t say anything of warning or advise in fear of being trash talked or retaliated against so they simply report the player and move on, resulting in a possible punishment to the player.

All I am asking for if not a no build zone how about a building warning (“Important resource blocked by building here” or “A boss creature will not respawn if you build it here” and or, “Building here will result in a recipe being blocked”, and/or , “Please don’t build here! For questions reread the TOS or check the Official forums with questions”, And/or finally simply, “Don’t build here!”.

2 Likes

Youre asking for coding instead of people reading and understanding the rules.

And which do you suppose will happen more than likely ?

1. People reading the rules (the forums are now becoming full (a new post ever few days or more bemoaning a ban or base wipe over a rule they didn’t know about and just got used against them) and the internet also full of articles showcasing the fact that people in general ignore the TOS and simply click “Agree”.

2. A company do doesn’t want to lose customers or annoy them into playing another game with a major game update on the horizon that probably cost major money to program and market and they might want to see a very large return on to stay in the black.

I am merely appealing to the more likely of the two and the more motivated party to change something.

I’m pretty sure I do know what is much more likely to happen.

I agree with you by the way.

I do believe people should have more personal responsibility.

I hate that many don’t behave unless forced to.

I also don’t feel that Funcom should have to do this as people should be more careful how they play and how they treat others in an online world.

I also feel that its unfair to have to put more money in a program just to enforce common sense that apparently in this and many other cases no longer exists.

I am with you on this, again. Its just the track record so far doesn’t lean towards personal responsibility winning out and those players may buy some dlc down the road if they don’t get banned first and maybe keep this game running awhile longer.

I agree that it is the least minimal effort.

The ToC, guidelines and procedures link wasn’t even pinned to the top of the forums until recently; great change might I add!

But, when you first start the game you get the EULA and that is it. Not a link to the forum post. There is simply no indication that it even exists. It’s not on the game browser or in the game menu.

If it is this important it needs to be announced staticly. The last time anyone had an indication in game that it even existed was last fall in the MotD. It’ll be a year soon since they had that message when they made changes to it.

If anyone thinks when starting a game “OH there must be a ToS/ToC?” great! However, most people do not think this way. They start the game, agree to the EULA and play. How are they supposed to know there’s another layer to all this?

Again, yes, personal responsibility, 100%. But there is a range of different people playing this game and with that comes the need for straight and clear access to what is expected of them. It does not exist at this point.

2 Likes

ToS should just be an embedded page in the game for all starting characters on officials that has to be acknowledged.

2 Likes

If a problem can be addressed by a server rule. Then that should be done. Why? Watch this…

“The player will not block off PoI’s or face administrative action.”

That took literal SECONDS to type. And when someone breaks that rule, it is a few seconds to ban them. It also has ZERO effect on singleplayer, and ZERO effect on non-official servers.

If anything, Funcom should remove all no build zones in the base game and the admins of the officials should crack down harder to get the word out.

Players inability to read rules, and reluctance to take personal responsibility should not affect players who don’t play on those servers. Period.

Police yourselves. Be adults. Edit. Actually just be decent individuals, I’ve seen my niece and nephew as children be able to follow simple rules on a video game server.

1 Like

I am not a programmer so forgive me for asking this . How would this be added to a server rule ? Would this be programmed in or simple a message that pops up when you begin playing ?

Doesn’t take programming at all, that’s the point. For officials they wrote it here:

For others, its wherever the owner wishes to put it.

Gotcha so simply another message when you spawn in on the server ?

one line of admin code to unlock spots on the map, it woudn’t hurt the private servers at all.

What’s this line?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.