Obsidian no longer makes any sense - its not viable for use as tools or weapons

7 Likes

Only the hatchet.

You should break that down to show all basic resources like you did for obsidian pick, and also, repairing on the blacksmith bench with legendary thralls cuts the cost to 7 bars. So

Black Ice Pick - 7 hard steel (14 steel + 7 brimstone) + 1 black ice
Star Metal Pick - 7 star metal (14 star ore + 7 brimstone + 7 black ice) + 3 shaped wood (add cost to get star ore)
Obsidian Pick - 7 composite obsidian (7 steel bars + 35 obsidian) + 3 shaped wood + 1 steel reinforcement
Acheronian Pick - 7 hard steel (14 steel bars + 7 brimstone) + 3 shaped wood

Does that not seem a bit excessive in time consumption to create and maintain? It does to me.

2 Likes

Depends. I think if you only go make 100 at a time…perhaps. I would rather spend one night, making about 1000 of them…then Im good for a few weeks of farming…which, with high end picks will yield me piles of resources.

when you say spend a night how many hours is that?

Because you have to be lugging in at least 1000 steel and 5000 obsidian right for 1000? Must make for a good fight at forge with how encumbered you are.

Meh, its what, 10 seconds per bar, running 2 forges, thats less then 2 hours…I dont work alone. :smiley:

I think they should remove composite obsidian and obsidian tools and replace them with obsidian tier tool upgrade. Obsidian weapons are fine.

Why people dont use Acheronian with repair kits is beyond me…

4 Likes

It’s awesome game design. Crafting composite obsidian at that specific furnace opens up for interaction with other players and potential PvP.

The obsidian 2-h sword for example does as good damage as one of the best legendary 2-h swords. Therefor the inconvinience of obtaining composite obsidian is nothing to argue about. Obtaining the very best gear shouldn’t be a walk in the park, unless the park is inhabited by lions :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Say no to drugs.

And how can you craft exceptional and flawless obsidian weapons in the volcano? You cant put a blacksmith into the volcanic forge. Or maybe remove exceptional and flawless obsidian stuff and give to obsidian weapons the actual flawless statistics.

1 Like

You can craft obsidian weapons in your own blacksmith. Only the composite is needed to be crafted in that specific furnace

Efit: Didn’t read the previous question, good answer

Just add the ability to craft the flawless version to the volcanic forge without the need of a smith? I dunno. I wouldn’t mind going down there if I did’t have to wait by the forge for hours at a time waiting for the composite to craft. Don’t really feel like leaving 1k steel unattended.

1 Like

And people wonder why I just use black ice weaponry.

What I wonder about is the same someone else wondered about:
Why is everyone even bothering to use the actual resources to repair their stuff? Sure, carrying around a single bar+single shaped wood to repair this stuff makes sense if one accidently broke it completely… But other than that, why do so less people use those 3 h. steel bars to repair everything up to 90% again? (=1 h. steel repair kit using t4 smith)

Oh and thanks @Redrick I intended to look at the harvesting rates at some point, but now I dont need to. Honestly, thank you!

2 Likes

I have come to really like master repair kits.

I guess the composite marks the rise of the repair kits :slight_smile:
People will catch up to that idea eventually.

I too use to carry a stack of obsidian, some steel reinforcements and shaped wood with me at all times, to repair the various obsidian weapons.

Now I take 2 repair kits with me at all times. 1 Repair Kit repairs Telith’s sorrow to 80%. Great deal for 3 hardened steel.

I have made 32 suits of silent legion before the patch. Now I use them down to 15% durability, before bequeathing them to guard thralls.

Same with my legacy obsidian weapons. At 15% they go to the guards.

Hell even the flawless obsidian weapons go to the guards cuz they are useless now. Except the daggers. The daggers are actually pretty good.

There are no flawless obsidian weapons right now

?!

There are. Just that they have been nerfed to being less powerful than normal obsidian weapons before the patch, just with more durability.

How to craft them?
Gamepedía wiki says not in game yet.