Turning Animations

Let’s talk about the turning animation or lack thereof in Conan. I realize that this is a visual feature, and really has minimal impact on gameplay, but I think that details like this make the game look polished, and complete. I believe that a complete looking product is a beautiful thing for revenue, and reputation.

Here is an example of what turning currently looks like when you’re standing still.
https://youtu.be/ywFmrlN2HQY?t=39 (shout out to the creator of the video, DrRenedict who is an amazing roleplayer). It looks silly, no questions about it. Everyone looks like a mannequin rotating on wheels. It looks especially silly along-side the new jumping, running, swimming, and combat animations that have been implemented. Lots of work has gone into animations as of late, it all looks amazing, but this one glaring flaw remains, and I think it shouldn’t be forgotten.

I and the rest of the RP community would love to see the beautiful animation work that has been done elsewhere, done here. Please allow us to turn around without the aid of rollerblades, or a pole shoved up our characters butts!

I will leave you with this song to help you contemplate on this post. :heart: you guys!

24 Likes

Absolutely! The unnatural turning is so awkward, having a proper animation like the rest would add a lot!

4 Likes

This will be a very nice addition to all the amazing work that has been done already. Like Bread said its a visual feature but a very important one for your RP Communities. We hope you take this under consideration and continue to impress us like always <3

4 Likes

This is a great suggestion! It would not only help in the overall appeal of animation transitions it will also compliment the other animations that you have already implemented in the game.

Even if you took the approach of having a mechanic is place that you hold down a certain button and only the head and upper torso turn in the direction you are looking in. Anything that removes that swirly merry-go-round feel of turning!

Again, I absolutely love all of the animations that have been added - voip being fixed, lips moving, and all of the added emotes and combat animations. Very impressive! Now, let’s just get rid of that silly swivel animation when turning in place. <3

Much Love
RC

4 Likes

Awesome suggestion! Would love to see some more beautiful animation work, all the other updates to jumping/swimming have been amazing. I think this change would really go a long way to making everything so much cleaner, especially for RP and immersion.

4 Likes

Yes please! It really is a silly thing to have “missed.” It’s also awkward if my character is sitting down… cat bumps my hand… my character spins about. sigh LOL Please halp!

2 Likes

You mean you don’t want to to look like we’re swiveling on heelies?

In all seriousness, this is a pretty glaring absence. In a game with so many animations I wouldn’t have even expected (See: wading in the transition from swimming to land) it makes it all the more noticeable when you run into unnatural movement like the stationary spin.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s super awkward to just spin around like a top. Also kinda awkward to not be able to look around without turning my entire body. So some turning animations as well as a way to look around freely (kind of like DayZ by holding alt) would be amazing. We all like the game and are just wanting to see it constantly improve and these are some things I feel would make the game that much better.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with this suggestion. The current lack of a turning animation looks so unnatural and unpolished in an otherwise polished game, especialy in regards to animations. So much work has been put in those and a proper turning animation would be nothing more than appropriate to accentuate the others.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen a game with a “decent:” one, so lack of one doesnt really matter to me. XD
Most of them ether slide, or do a good job on feet-knees, but its semi locked in. Or your character moves 1foot(distance) and when your near a edge you wanna yell at tv cause your character keeps moving to close. XD

Its like Super real clothes phyiscs or good gravity… its not gonna happen any time soon. =/

1 Like

It may seem like a trivial addition but body language in Conan is so good, and you can actually roleplay nonverbally because of the extent of emotes and the way the models move…but looking awkward when you turn is a glaring omission when you see how beautifully everything else moves.

2 Likes

I 100% Agree with the animation changes. It would add so much more towards the game and the reality of being who you would want to be.

3 Likes

Once you see this, it cant be unseen.

Totally agree.

Keep up all the good work on animations and make sure this is on the list too.

3 Likes

Things that look good turning on a stick:

• Rotisserie Chicken
  • Hot dogs
  • Cotton candy
  • Kebobs
  • Candy apples

Things that don’t look good turning on a stick:

• People

Conan is beautiful in so many ways, and as an RP community we have been able to tell some amazing stories and bring amazing characters to life. It would be awesome to add a turning animation (think the turn animation in DayZ - the only thing that game got right) to help tell our stories.

5 Likes

The Darfari disagree.

But I tend to shoot them on sight, so maybe their opinion doesn’t matter here.

6 Likes

What draws people to your game? The pleasing eye of graphics, and stream line of what can be done or achieved in a game, and the look of the Character model being used. Animations of said model having fluid mobility and look draw more and more to those wanting to play the character. Having a straight as a board “turning” animation makes the Model unappealing. You’ve done improvements and great ones lets keep the ball rolling. Adding mouth movements fantastic. Adding jumping animation showing the character taking that extra motion when jumping to crouch and touch the ground even better. Standing and turning looking like a board needs to be changed. Simple flow and yes it is the role playing communities that are asking for such a thing. That being said your role playing communities are what gives your game Longevity, it is what keeps Conan Exiles in the public eye. Streaming adventures draws in people who may never ever thought about trying Conan. So taking a look at how you can better the character models with turning animations will only bring that immersion Players want, it will also spotlight the urge to want to immerse one, self into the game more and enjoy what it has to offer and bring more people to the game itself. So I Implore you to take that extra step, that little bit more time and work on this adjustment Thank you.

3 Likes

I agree! With all the other animation updates, this would tie in very nicely :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love it, that song to contemplate on :joy:lmao

1 Like

I sit here trying to imagine how turning animations would look in game. I think it would have a huge positive impact on the Rp community. I also imagine all the combat updates made and how polished the game is becoming, combined with the introduction of the look of footwork in a fight. It would make the pvp that much more immersive, that alone would change the mind of more people on the fence about buying the game but also a possibility to add limiting factors for weapons each getting different footwork.

3 Likes

Please please. This needs to happen, it’s so pervasive and constant it would be such a huge QoL change for the RP community.

3 Likes