Yeah, I used to believe that, too. Thing is, “being a dick” is quite a subjective concept. Even so, it can work if the enforcement is transparent enough and consistent enough. Most importantly, it requires a certain degree of trust in those enforcing the rules.
I started questioning that belief when I saw some examples of people not being dicks and getting wiped, and plenty of examples of people being dicks and not getting wiped despite reports.
Funcom gradually eroded my trust in them, until I was forced to admit that @Kikigirl was right and I was wrong.
Some of us still remember when fence foundation stacking was explicitly said to be legal, only to be declared an exploit later, with both of those communications buried inside random threads you had to dig for, instead of being clearly communicated in a pinned thread.
So no, “don’t be a dick” isn’t a thing.
Oh, I’m not disputing that you should follow the rules or go somewhere else. That’s just pragmatism, and I agree completely. No, I’m talking about something else.
If I go on a private server and the rules are clear and I break them because I don’t like them and think I should be allowed to break them, then it’s clearly my fault. If I go on a private server and the rules aren’t clear and I break them, then it’s the admin’s fault. If I go on a private server and the rules are enforced inconsistently according to the admin’s whims, then it’s the admin’s fault. In all of those cases, the pragmatic solution is to move to a different server. But the cases are very different from each other.
The official servers are definitely not in the first category. And I’ve never been suspended or banned, so I’m not saying this because I’m butthurt. I’m saying it because I’ve seen enough to change my opinion.
In fact, it’s precisely @Taemien’s posts that demonstrate how ridiculously subjective “don’t be a dick” is when it comes to interpreting rules. I’m specifically referring to his ideas about how small your build should be, because that’s enough and you don’t need any more than that.
That’s not about being a dick, it’s about someone’s personal preferences.
When it comes to playing a video game, democracy can go screw itself. Socrates’ objections to democracy fit video games like a glove.
Nah, if I’m going to play a video game, I’m fine with ironclad dictatorship, as long as the rules are clear. Then I can make my own informed decision to buy or not buy, to stick around or fuсk off.
There are ways, but is it really productive to discuss them? We know Funcom won’t listen, so why bother?