Maybe Next Time, Before You Berate Folks, a Pause Would Be Nice

So, the update was rough.

It caused a lot of problems. It broke things, it sowed confusion, it was just not successful.

And that sucks.

But it was not personal and taking it personally and then lashing out is:

1. Unproductive
  2. Counterproductive
  3. A poor life choice

Folks, the devs already now this was a excrement hits the fan moment. The community support folks already know the anguish this has caused.

We are right to be annoyed. We are right to be upset.

We are not right to cast aspersions and accusations and belittle and berate and do our best to insult folks merely because we are upset. Honestly, it was like watching a Karen berating a clerk because they would not accept an expired coupon.

Yes, we were personally affected. No, it was not personally directed at us.

When this happens again, because, that is the life of software development, it is always a balance between resources, time, and quality, we need to focus on reporting the errors and the circumstances and save the posturing and pining.

Also, and this will be wildly unpopular, things cost money. Funcom must remain profitable to continue to provide platforms like Conan. A $20+ purchase of the base game and no subscription model does not fund development. An expanding user base and paid DLC helps, but nothing is free. Someone is paying for it.

If all we can afford is the base game, we have a right to expect quality. But, no matter how long we play or how much we spend, we do not have the right to demand to be catered to, to pretend we are the most important customer, to require special service to accommodate our whims.

I’ve been the guy working 60+ straight hours trying to identify the reason a deployment failed after passing all QA and testing. It sucks. Having folks represent the inconvenience as a personal assault, directed at them alone, did not impress me then and it does not now.

So, next time this happens, and it will, make better life choices.

Document the problem and leave the raging to others.

34 Likes

Agreed things got way to personal. Fortunately I recently found out what a Karen is thanks to Bob and Tom radio show.

5 Likes

nice true post…
and a nice really nice conclusion…
i still say ty… i cannot still connect (after the windows update bug, a no internet connection bug appeared…) but still no harm done…
maybe its the call to show we r still survivors…
cause survivors show up when all r lost… :wink:

ty for this post OP… was a breeze of fresh air that was really needed…
so chins up FC… keep on and all will be ok :smiley:

5 Likes

can you point to a post or statement by funcom where they publicly owned this mess of their creating, and said they were sorry?

Now that would have been productive when it comes to community development.

Instead people get their posts banned, deleted and some even get dog piled for criticizing and expressing how they feel.

Blaming players is just another dividing tactic. - which quislings use.

6 Likes

I agree about keeping a positive attitude but why are you blaming players for being upset after continuous broken updates. If your car broke down this often you’d be pretty pissed no? How about every time after they fix your car they break something else? I bought my car just like I bought this game and all its dlc so I should be blamed for getting frustrated with garbage service?
All your doing here is creating a void where funcom has zero responsiblity for their mistakes. And it’s made even worse by this all being cause by a live service addition that nobody wants, but YAY I have a friends list now. Gotta stay positive right.

2 Likes

And if you have to rage, rage against the product without attacking the people. It’s just basic decency. Understand that the product is the result of what the whole company is like, not just specific people in it. It’s like screaming at a McDonalds minimum-wage worker because their hamburger is unhealthy and tastes like crap.

Yes, the devs team are the ones who wrote this software, but they’re most likely not the ones who decided when to publish the update and how to test it. And the QA team, if any, aren’t the ones who control the dates, either.

And even if you happened to know who made the decision, it’s most likely someone who doesn’t give a dime about your complaints – screaming at them is like screaming at the McDonalds CEO because their hamburger is unhealthy and tastes like crap. Their reaction is most likely this:
Surm81t1

Most of the people hurling personal insults at the dev team don’t even stop to think about how the devs might feel about working inhumanly long hours to fix something they probably didn’t want to release without enough testing.

TL;DR: Say what you want about the product, but be decent to the people. You’re most likely being a Karen to those who aren’t at fault, and those whose fault this is don’t give a damn as long as the money’s flowing in.

5 Likes

To highlight you are missing the point would be redundant. Your question does not relate to anything in my post.

Make better life choices.

1 Like

That is inaccurate.

“We are right to be annoyed. We are right to be upset.”

I’m judging the poor decision to berate and insult, to claim persecution and intentional harm as character flaws.

1 Like

We will have to disagree.

This is a mischaracterization. Respectful interaction need not be quiet, it must merely be devoid of tantrums.

1 Like

Exactly.

Well said.

1 Like

I think the main problem is that they leave the community in the dark

If they would acknowledge the problems, I feel people would be content in knowing that the devs are addressing them

1 Like

To highlight you are missing the point would be redundant. Your question does not relate to anything in my post.

Make better life choices.

So with nothing better to come back with you try to get inflammatory? Well done there mister middle of the road. How ironic and predictable your response is.

Starting to think that this original post was just a troll post given your responses.

I made a post, You responded with things unrelated to my post.

I am failing to see your point.

Perhaps you might restate your point as it relates to my post.

Or not.

Your choice.

1 Like

From what I am seeing, they did acknowledge the issue and provided updates as to the progress and plan.

Once again, we have every right to be upset and annoyed. We have no right to belittle, insult, and disparage the folks doing their job to respond to the situation .

Our justified anger over the issue does not give us the right to be asshats.

What about server issues?
I can link a handful of threads regarding server 1588 being unplayable
I have never seen the issue be acknowledged
Its been having problems for years now and I have yet to see Funcom/Gportal acknowledge that anything is wrong on their end, or that they are investigating issues

What about them?

Are you right to be upset?

Yes.

Are you right to be annoyed and want action and resolution?

Yes.

This can all be accomplished without insults and accusations.

I do not understand how “Folks, complain with decency” has been interpreted as, “Don’t complain.”

Luckily, I do not have to understand.

Honestly, don´t understand what we are talking about here in this topic. I am getting the feeling that some people in this forum feel the constant urge of putting other people into place when problems with the game occurs and they start complaining.

Let me tell you this guys. This is no schoolroom here and you are nether teacher nor parents to the rest of the forum users. I am old enough to vote and certainly old enough to have an opion about something and if I wanna complain I will complain. I will not ask for permission or wait for your aproval. If someone steps over the line and gets personal or privat (or more) then he might face the law faster than he might think. Funcom after all is a big company. And big companies never have problems with sending lawyers. You do not need to play one for them.

1 Like

This post was an intentional troll post.

Yes. Last time the rolled back the servers due to issues, as well as damn near every hotfix which exist solely to fix mistakes that happened?

Don’t think they ever rolled back servers since it went live.