Dungeons are not a challenge

Oh I agree. I think the game is more than challenging enough. Also the dungeons are designed to be run many times. That puts another limit in how hard they are intended to be.

I’ve met one … once. It was a short fight, i returned to the graveyard in one blow.

Nice texts form your hand, well written and formatted. :+1:t2:

I like tank and spank bosses.
It is so relaxing.
I dont like all that constantly moving around boss mechanics.
To get the different items the game has to offer you need to kill bosses many times over and over.

And I really like how you can, by choice, increase the difficulty if you want.

But the overall no-stress PvE experience have kept me so far nearly 1000 hours.

And I am excited what the next DLC will bring.

You don’t have to use a thrall. Go finish a dungeon by yourself, without a thrall. I’ve done it and it’s fun. It’s up to you to make the game a challenge.

2 Likes

In my opinion:

• If you play solo, you have to take a fighter thrall to help you. Just pick a strong/weak thrall to set the difficult level of the dungeon. It will be fun.
  • If you play with a clan, you don’t need a thrall and it will be fun to beat the dungeon with other players. Playing coop is the way Conan was meant to be played (PvE).

The problem is the loot. When you beat the dungeon solo, you get all the loot with no need to share. So it’s better each player do the dungeon playing solo.

So, in my opinion, the game should reward the players when they beat the dungeon without a Thrall. More loot or better quality loot.

Warmaker, Wine Cellar even The Sunken City where a refresh to get after the dungeons we had.

You cant play the dregs and be mad at the game for being easy. Alot of the dungeons we have now are all early game content. They have only been getting better and harder as new ones come out.

Zactly this…

If you want to make the game more challenging for yourself, you can leave your thrall behind, or replace it with an animal pet, or wear weaker equipment, ect ect…

But when you ask the developers to change the whole game to fit your style, you’re trying to make everyone play your way.

Actually, it does. You’re the one claiming that the game is too easy, and that you’ve got a friend who annihilated the whole game in 2 weeks. These aren’t facts if you’re lying.

Do you really want to be that one kid in school who tells everyone he has a supermodel girlfriend, yet nobody has ever seen her?

OK, done. I find the game just a tad too hard as it is. The complete opposite of your experience.

Food for thought: Playing online and playing single-player are NOT the same experience. Especially with many of the servers now hitting 1000+ ping for no reason. When both the boss’s and your thrall are warping all over the place, a thrall-vs-boss fight isn’t just an option, it’s the only option.

2 Likes

IF you don’t like a challenge, you don’t have to farm every dungeon boss or kill every NPC in a city to complete the game. So if it was made more challenging (tactically more than just HP adjustments) then skip those you find to difficult. See, the shoe fits on your foot too.

I used to hate the “just don’t use thralls” advice before the thrall nerf. Sure, I was still able to solo most of the bosses, but it was just tedious, not challenging. And when bringing a thrall, I felt like I was a sidekick – and a bad one at that – because my contribution to the fight was negligible compared to theirs.

Now that they adjusted thralls and bosses, I feel better about that advice. Most of the time I bring the thrall with me to UC, because I’m either leveling a new thrall or I want to do a quick farming round, but at least I don’t feel insignificant.

I went to the Sunken City solo, for a challenge, and managed to do it all, although I had to cheese that asshat where the leeches spawn, because that one’s about as balanced as the Arena Champion. The whole experience was somewhat challenging, but let’s face it: the “skill” you need to deal with bosses in CE is to find the safest strategy to avoid being steamrolled in case of lag and keep chipping away at their health.

And that’s another reason they won’t be able to make the bosses and dungeons challenging enough, without also making them superbly frustrating. Even if they took the thralls out of the equation and gave the AI some interesting behavior, there’s still the problem with how the game deals with your attacks.

When you perform an attack, the client will check whether your attack connected with your target. If the client decides it didn’t, it won’t ask the server to check. And if it decides it did, the server might explain that it didn’t, really, because your target wasn’t exactly where your client thought.

That sounds like a reasonable optimization, but it ends up giving you multiple ways to fail. You can’t even compensate for lag, because your client won’t let you talk to the server. And it doesn’t even have to be lag – I’ve lost count of how many times my hits simply didn’t register and the game gave me one big, juicy :fu: despite my best efforts to hit whatever I was attacking.

With tech like that, it’s best to stick to the AI we have and let players adjust their difficulty by intentionally hobbling their own playstyle when the want more challenge. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Wait a minute, you say the relic hunters are good?
I have the feeling that these are no longer good.

I only catch Cimmerian berserk (female)
They are really good.
Or the fighters from the volcano (Daicas, Spinas) are also good.

Please make a screenshot of the stats from the relic hunter do u use.

:blush::v:t4:

This is going to imply a crazy as hell motive. If I’m lying, and the game is too hard for me. And I want it harder. What do I stand to gain from that? I’m almost curious to see where this rabbit hole leads. But in reality I know where this goes. Lets say I waste my time putting up a video. Yall are going to see tricks and tactics used that you’re going to claim ‘well that’s why it was easy, try it without doing that’. There’s going to be all these other conditions thrown on. No not bothering with that nonsense.

This I find hard to believe… unless you’re using a controller. This is a very different game depending on what control scheme you have available to you. I’ve tried it with the controller. Its annoying. You pretty much have to use the lock on feature to get stuff to hit reliably. I’m used to NOT using that. I’ve always played on servers where it was disabled. I’m not saying target lock makes things easier or harder, but when you’re not using it, you get a little more control on the defensive side of things.

So my question is, are you using a controller or keyboard and mouse. We’re talking two different games here in this regard.

So the server I play has a <100ms ping. Effectively might as well be singleplayer with how smooth it is, 99% of the time (it goes to hell after 96 hours on the clock, and needs to be restarted, most servers restart daily, we get away with 4 days).

But I don’t believe we should balance around poor server performances. Those servers simply need to have their hardware upgraded to handle the load. Or get off VMs and put on dedicated hardware. Though CodeMage’s suggestion of Client Side hit detection is probably not something I’m opposed to. Though I could have sworn we had that. It doesn’t make sense that we don’t. The only reason to have server side hit detection in a game with combat this close is to deter cheating and hacks.

1 Like

How does one “complete the game” ?

1 Like

So… Once the official servers are all upgraded and no longer have any performance issue’s, THEN we can work on difficulty balance. In that order. Fair enough? :grin:

… might be awhile. :grinning:

1 Like

Why would we do that for only 1/6th the playerbase?

Damn straight: my great grandma & my nanna were mad Nintendo players. Hyrule has never since known such heroes.

1 Like

My playing is good, but unfortunately I have a disabling condition known as “stubbiness”. My fingers are too short. It is from my father’s side of the family.

Stupid stubby fingers.

@WhatMightHaveBeen my words may have been misunderstood (probably cause i am not a native english language speaker) … i will not call over the wine cellar for egoistic reasons , as i can solo all other dungeons with no thrall till now… i have not mastered yet the wine cellar, so cannot ask someone else to show me a part that i am not sure i can solo… that is the only reason i call not the wine cellar as dungeon in my post… for egoistic reasons(my own ego will not allow me to ask proof of what i have not achieved yet)
all u have to do is not be greedy… trust me arena champion is not that hard… u die on the 3rd hit yes (nommater ur build or gear) but she is not hard …

and @CodeMage is actually right , ur worst enemy in a dungeon is the lag spike…

@CodeMage i play only on offcial pve server atm… no single player for me or modded servers…

As opposed to the 1/50th of the playerbase who want a difficulty nerf? :smiley:

The irony here, of course, is that you dismiss the non-modded official server’s as only 1/6th of the playerbase and therefor not important.

But it’s the non-official server’s & single-player that can adjust the difficulty settings and run mods, and therefore make the game harder.

So what’s your message here? That the laggy vanilla official servers need to be increased in difficulty because the low-ping non-official servers wouldn’t have a problem running it?

Oh, for Crom’s sake, please don’t go there with him.

1 Like

I wasn’t talking non-modded. Just because a server isn’t official, doesn’t mean it has mods. My first year and 1200 hours playing the game was on unmodded servers.