Momentum-based movement - Feedback thread

I said it’s the ‘neutral’ choice in the interest of brevity but the option also had ‘would like to see some adjustments’ and that is why I chose it. I thought I further explained that much with my explanation of my choice.

EDIT: For further clarification - I don’t dislike it, I don’t like the system as-is. Those options aren’t mutually exclusive.

1 Like

I choose neutral, I love the dodges, it made the fights more realistic, and people must think before engaging a fight now, much better, no ez running anymore.

The only thing you gotta turn a bit faster is the momentum inertia on start running, that is indeed too slow to start, but don’t revert back to the way it was, otherwise, fighting will become obsolete again.

I don’t know what you guys are all whining about. My character finally feels like he has some weight to him and actions, as in real life, really matter. You should give yourself time to acclimate to the new feel before you outright shun it because I think it is a good addition to the game as with most of this update (please put in keybinds for mounted movement!).

3 Likes

Why do you have to ruin the game for everyone in order to balance PvP?
My character feels like a slug moving in slow motion and it takes double the time to move around the base than before.

7 Likes

No please no, meta will be light armor again with no skills, roll roll roll run hit run… That was just stupid and I’m a hardcore pvp player, and I used the same meta, and I still think that was just stupid. No way you would come to a melee fight against a two handed sword naked and kill a full heavy guy… That’s just nonsense.

2 Likes

I registered for the forum today specifically to vote and voice my opinion on this issue.

I started playing this game at launch in May 2018, and I am a dedicated offline single player on PS4.

I played it for about 3 months, off and on, and decided it needed some more time in the oven in terms of development. I recognized this was a truly special game in terms of it was attempting to do, as well as in terms of the world it was building within the universe of the Robert E. Howard source material, but it was just not ready for primetime. In short, I stopped because I wanted the best experience I could have with the game, rather than be frustrated by bugs and glitches which would be worked out in time.

I started playing again in August 2019, and found the game 100% more enjoyable and improved. I have been playing it solid since then … until now. This movement update – combined with the changes to the dodge / roll mechanic – sucks the enjoyment right out of the game, both in terms of mundane tasks (like mining / harvesting, base building and management, etc.) and combat.

As a dedicated offline single player, there are immense challenges in terms of non-cheat solo play given the HP pools and damage output of world bosses and higher-level mobs. I have managed them with the help of thralls without cheating thus far, and the experience has been thrilling. Now, with the sluggishness of movement due to the momentum system (and rolls for that matter), I don’t see any way to deal them other than abusing the admin console by tweaking combat multipliers beyond the balance intended. Further, the grind of solo harvesting was manageable under the previous system, but the new momentum system as a sluggishness that would make it longer and even more tedious.

If I’ve got to abuse the admin panel to make the game tolerable again compared to the previous iteration, I might as well just cheat 100%, run my remaining PS4 trophies in an hour or two, and never play again.

Please revert these changes. The game was fine as it was and was one of my favorites. You have tried my patience already with the sorry state of the game at launch, and this is going to make me put it away forever and never touch one of your products again.

This (was) a good game with potential to be GREAT. Making unilateral and subjective changes that break the long-standing feel of playing the game – while adding more bugs (scrolling problems at crafting tables, screwed up thrall portraits that cut off head / feet) to the issues that have not be resolved is not the way to accomplish this, and “realism” should add value to gameplay, not hinder it.

10 Likes

I like and dislike it at the same time. I agree, that the old roll wasnt really good and basically everyone everytime could get away from a fight. But i really think you need to adjust the length and speed according to which armorype and agility you have.

And i think the sloppy start when you’re about to run is super annoying and adds nothing to the game. So this should be reverted too imo.

I disagree with you,
Sounds to me like you’d rather come on here and banter other comments than anything else.
Char movement feels nothing like in real life.
there is nothing seemingly smooth about new movement and the char Should Not feel weighed down with 0 weight on them.
I use to carry 120 pound backpack on me at any giving time in the Airborne. you are completely wrong.

and key-binds for horses can be input manually

"There is currently no in-game GUI to set the Horse movement keys. They instead use the settings set in the Input.ini and can only be changed there. Default settings are:
AxisMappings=(AxisName=“MountMoveForwardBackward”,Key=up,Scale=-1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName=“MountMoveLeftRight”,Key=left,Scale=-1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName=“MountMoveLeftRight”,Key=right,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName=“MountMoveLeftRight”,Key=Gamepad_LeftX,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName=“MountMoveForwardBackward”,Key=down,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName=“MountMoveForwardBackward”,Key=Gamepad_LeftY,Scale=1.000000)

I played over 1400 hours in this game, really enjoyed my time here. until now.

i ran over a cliff and my hero …" HERO" all of a sudden forgot how to steer herself to the cliff side while falling down to grab on the sides to prevent seeing the reaper…there is a loading screen tool tip that recommends to do this , i quess you should remove that. since she jumps and looses ALL control in the air. its the new # airdop skill.
harvesting…why is there a jerky animation with EVERY SWING? did you guys see that? did you test that? did you watch miners and lumberjacks for that jerky realism? is that what they do?
the roll…watching the video when you showcased this i thought to myself oh no what did they do. looked awful . did not like it even JUST from watching the video. after playing with it…I WAS RIGHT. i do not like it at all. sooooooo slow…why? and no , i do not want to invest precious points into something i dont want JUST so i can roll faster. # sushiroll
sprinting… #wind-up i dont understand why this was needed. it hurts to watch.

there are so many things with this update to movement that i feel like i am playing a different game. there is no fun factor . falling to your death is not fun. watching your character jerk around is not fun, watching these horrible animations is not fun. and the time old bugs still in the game is STILL not fun.
giving this game a break.
enjoy your horses.
xox
will watch forums for fixes or updates but will not be playing Conan
#walletrolledaway

7 Likes

I’m mostly fine with the build up to a sprint (but wouldn’t snub my nose at a super fine tune to speed it up just a smidge - a push off rather than a lumber).

Jumping though… If I’m leaping from one cliff to another with the sole intention of not falling to my death, I’m not going to be particularly lethargic about it, but more like a coiled spring; and in that sense, I’m not sure the acceleration feels quite right just yet.

1 Like

First, I should start by saying I appreciate Funcom trying different things like this and thinking outside the box. I’m glad the team is still actively looking for ways to improve the game, the community gives them a lot of guff sometimes for appearing a bit absent, but I understand that the team’s efforts here are made with the end goal of making the game more fun.

That said I don’t like the direction of the movement changes. Something that set Conan apart from other MMO-type survival games for me when I first started was how grounded and active the movement felt. It really seemed like whoever created the original movement system had a good sense of the basic elements that make real-world athleticism so satisfying. The game made you feel like a hero with a lot of explosive physical power.

Now it feels much less dynamic and my character doesn’t seem to have that same dangerous kind of warrior/survivor gait.

The new movement and combat changes make things feel more flabby, less grounded in physical sensabilities. The mechanics have gotten a bit more detatched and less visceral. I hope the team reverts the changes or, at the very least, heavily tweaks the new changes back towards something resembling the spirit of the original system.

5 Likes

I rather like the change as it gives me a real sense of weight on the world, and combined with all the past animations and additions to the in world character, I get a closer and closer feel that I’m controlling a person rather than a video game avatar. I also use heavy armor exclusively and the roll added to that is a god send for my experience as well.

3 Likes

Coming from being a thief with light armor and full agility. The rolling distance is really bad, especially with the new walk to run system.
My character feels incredibly sluggish, if I run into a bump I start walking, if I run and jump I start walking. Theres no air control anymore, even with double jump. Climbing walls and trying to stick to ledges while falling all just feels wrong. I’d like to see this tweaked because as of right now it feels tedious and punishing.

3 Likes

Hey! I like the roll alot! but the momentum based movement needs some tweaking. the delay is a bit long and the resulting animations are kind of… well… … cheap? It looks like you took two steps back on all of the hard work making the animations cooler and more realistic.

I’m all in for the spirit of this change though, it just needs cleaned up a bit.

2 Likes

ok, i guess they will also need to change that you can run away from elephants, tigers, panthers, lions, rhinos, and alarge etc, you can never outrun a hyena either. right?

voted NO, movement is bad, harvesting is bad, too slow, it is hard to say for me it is fun to run around.

3 Likes

Big dislike. This update ruined pvp. The light roll was op. 2 medium pieces and 3 light was the meta and thats what you wanted to get rid off. You also wanted people to use agility. Now everyone will just use heavy armor and a bit of agility to improve their roll. You just replaced the old meta for a new meta instead of fixing the problem. Also it looks like you’re walking on oil everywhere and it takes way too slow to get on speed while running. Also the fact that you can’t move that much anymore mid air is a pain, but the combat changes are the worst. Especially the roll and

2 Likes

I am disappointed with the super sluggish nature of how combat works now. Basically what we did was to remove the skill and timing needed to pull off an actual dodge under a blade or around an attack from say a dragon tail swipe and replaced it with a convoluted momentary hyper armor preventing damage. This neither adds to the difficulty of game play nor the action based fun garnered from it. The momentum based running is completely tuned wrong. We are supposed to be warriors chiseled from the rigors of surviving in the wastes. Now I can’t dart off any faster than a toddler or a 65 year old woman in a tough mudder competition.

Bottom line guys is this. I haven’t been able to pass on another go round of CE since you released the game on steam in the very early days. I’ve enjoyed the heck out of all the mods, updates, etc etc. This DLC was supposed to be such a huge improvement that I wouldn’t want to put it down again for another couple of go rounds. Now all I can think about is how I am going to fill my personal time without slogging through the now boring and mundane Conan Exiles. With that said, I am an engineer who knows its better to always offer a solution to problems I present so here goes.

regarding running…the delay in acceleration is WAY WAY to noticeable. Make it momentary if at all and ramp it up a lot faster. Also if you really wanted it right, make the pace at which you accelerate based on overall agility stat. If the goal was the make lighter armors more viable, then add in a way to make the overall DR % contribution from light and medium armor more useful. As it stands there is a 22% disparity from the FE versions of heavy vs light…that’s just too much damage intake difference to even consider light armor…perhaps improve the heavy armor plates when used on light/medium armor to make them more meaningful.

WRT to the combat dodges (rolls), roll this back and rework what you were trying to do. It’s just killed the game for many. I think I understand your idea, but its only making combat sluggish and mundane.

WRT to thrall limits this should be upped to about 15 but it works fine as is…just sorta disappointing. Perhaps add in some NPC placeables like you can find in mods in order to give the appears of castle wall guards and so forth. Just for flavor.

Thanks if you listened, I hope things get better.

Druuna

4 Likes

I voted dislike on the momentum-based movement.

Relieved to know I’m not the only one who has those, and yes this sums up my sentiments quite nicely!

Here are the specific pain points I have:

• The initial starting speed feels like I’m standing in tar.
  • Even when I’m nearly at a standstill, it’s still night impossible to jump off an edge and latch onto it again — something that I feel is as much Conan Exile’s signature move as double-tap dodges are for the Unreal Tournament series or strafe-jumping for Quake.
  • The build-up speed to a full sprint is far too lengthy. Even out-of-shape, middle-aged me can reach top speed with more finesse than my well-toned, cat-falling character can.
  • Glancing collisions remove too much momentum. This is particularly evident when trying to move around in your own crafting and living areas. Even when I’ve had too much to drink IRL I’m not as hampered by furniture as my character is.
  • Farming resources is now pure pain, and not merely because of the sluggish delay when trying to move from node to node. Why? Because not only has an option to disable screen shake not been implemented yet (that’s 7 links, FYI), but with the delay between each swing it’s actually more pronounced as my eyes have a chance to refocus again during the 1/4 second pause that’s been introduced between the backswing and the next forward swing. I can only hope that this was a bug because the delay is completely unrealistic and makes the least enjoyable aspect of the game truly excruciating.
  • From a purely subjective gaming standpoint, I much prefer crisp, precise movement like in UT (and CE before this patch) to the slippery momentum-based games like Quake (and CE post-patch).

That said, I do think there could be a happy medium. My advice would be:

• Nearly instant start & stop for our base movement speed from pre-patch (i.e. where you’re holding forward, but not holding either sprint or walk).
  • Shorter ramp-up between base speed and running when we press & hold sprint.
  • Increase air-control somewhat so we can once again grab onto cliffs within 3-4 foundations height if we leap off at a walk, or 5-6 if sprinting.

Some additions I’d love to see that I think would make combat & movement more dynamic:

• When sprinting, make the forward roll execute a sort of diving tumble.
  • When sprinting, make crouch put you into a slide that has a chance for a knockdown vs. a human-sized opponent, or a stagger if they have sufficient agility to resist the knockdown.
  • If sprinting and a player presses walk, the character should dig in their heels to come to a stop.
  • Add double-tap dodges similar to what heavy armor used to be. They should use less stamina than a roll, but include no I-frames, and have a shorter settle. (If I can make such a hop when I see a bike headed for me on a walking path, my character should be able to as well.)
  • If when crouching or holding walk at the top edge of a cliff, add an animation for the character slipping over and entering the climbing pose (for crouch) or hopping off and being an ideal distance to latch-on with walk.

As for the new dodge (which I realize this poll is not about), I’d have preferred to stick with the old one, but it did keep me alive thru the terrifying and exciting new Cimmerian Berserker purge last night, so its not all bad. Still feel a bit slow (at 20 AGI) for a video game though.

9 Likes

I gave up on Ark before even trying combat, simply because the movements in that game felt clumsy or bad compared other games I’d played.

This will likely cause some new players to do the same. I’ve even entertained the idea myself.

You can’t just introduce a game element that no other similar games have, if it doesn’t also have an immediate benefit. It’s a gating effect for getting more players. Many will turn around at the gate. The benefits to PvP won’t be worth a damn in that group of players. Try another approach. Like only applying it in combat somehow.

Moving around is a huge element in the game. From node to node. Crafting table to crafting table. Chest to chest. Coming back with loot is gonna be more frustrating. Enjoying creating parts in one crafting station to use at another is gonna be more frustrating. Mining and gathering is gonna be more frustrating. Every. Single. Action. That. Involves. Repeated. Movement. Is. Gonna. Be. More. Frustrating. (Do you see what I did there?)

5 Likes

accelleration is fine, but there needs to be a better difference between light and heavy armors. wth accelleration AND the dodge changes, it’s too much in the same direction, and theres less utility to light armors, especially after 20 agility stat points. light armor should still be significantly faster, it already lacks the protection. and the dodge roll difference is so minimal it’s pointless. light armor should retain the previous longer dodge roll, medium armor works best with the new dodge roll, and heavy was fine with the side step, but it’s distance/timing/protection should have been adjusted appropriately. maybe only make backwards a roll and leave the other directions as a step.

it just feels hasty and not adjusted.

but i do think momentum was a good addition, just not implemented well across all armors.

1 Like